Monday, February 14, 2005

Low tech - High tech

This post is in response to Karen M's comments to January's post Letting Myself Be about making SoulCollage cards in the traditional cut and paste method versus the computer. Since that post, I have made two cards. Poor Me (done with cut and paste- above) and Clyde (done on the computer- below).

I have decided that cut and paste is best for my Committee cards. It's like writing in my journal by hand. Playing with the images, cutting them out by hand--I think I get closer to the hidden aspects that the cards help reveal.

For Community cards I still prefer the computer. I am after a certain feel. It is certainly more premeditated, but I am creating a visual alter to my loved ones--I want to convey my sense of them as closely as I can. The added flexibility of the computer helps me do that. I find it quite tactile also. I use a wacom tablet. Erasing is like coloring. Cutting is like tracing.

A special THANK YOU to all the wonderful photographers and artists whose images have inspired us to recreate and discover our inner and outer worlds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharry,
Thanks for your post about"Low Tech- High Tech". I can really relate to the difference in intention between Committee cards & Community Cards (which by their very nature, are more pre-meditated). I love the idea of Community cards being a "visual alter"- it's a beautiful way of thinking about it!

As for making your Committee cards by hand, I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk about getting "closer to the hidden aspects" when you use the cut & paste method. I imagine that if you were to use a computer sometimesteh techniques would take away from the element of chance that can occur when using cut & paste method (EG I've had some big learnings occur after accidentaly smuding a part of a card or have had an extra layer of meaning enter a card when I have had to paste an image over a piece of writing that I didn't want to show in my card).

It's part of the hands on process that contributes to the "magic" of the cards... showing/teaching/revealing things that we need, without being consciously aware (yet) that we need it.

Thanks for posting such lovely examples of your cards as an illustration too. I feel a real connection with the "Poor Me" card- it's very insightful!

Keep Shining
Karen